Saturday, January 12, 2008

Shabbat Thoughts


This week I participated for the first time in a new committee of the M-Tribe. Here are some thoughts that were brought up during the meeting I'd like to share.
ONE: Developing an autobiography class M-Tribers have led interesting lives with exciting, sad and joyous life stories they might want to share with their family and friends as a written legacy and possibly as a personal catharsis. They might also be surprised to learn how interesting the life of that quiet neighbor sitting next to them during events had been.
Although I'm not a teacher and don't have the patience and understanding that others naturally  possess, I believe I could lead the class at a slow but steady pace. I have already prepared a brief outline of the topics, chronology and goals of the class.
TWO: setting up an expert speaker series harvesting M-Tribe members as subject matter experts (SME) in their fields of expertise Many would be interested in learning about the nuances and amusing anecdotes of their neighbors. 

Although I'm a bit rusty I've organized similar impromptu events in the past. A program is usually 1 1/2 hours in length with the first 20-30 minutes devoted to socializing. The speaker's' talk should be about 15-20 minutes followed by a Q&A session and ending with another social parting event.

THREE: is similar to the SME series idea above but inviting professional experts from outside the Tribe to speak. People with interesting occupations for consideration might be: acupuncturists, chiropractors, authors, artists, musicians, firefighters, police, EMT, local politicians, chefs, scholars, knitters, sewers, scrapbookers, grant writers, etc.
Please note these are merely ideas. Since I'm the new kid on the block and a novice to the proper protocol of conducting such events I leave the appropriate protocol, advantages and pitfalls of developing such ideas to the M-Tribe committee.
I also enjoyed an M-tribe private dinner  last night. We five had quite a lovely and lively time and delicious dinner with vibrant conversation. Looking forward to others
Tonight I'll be off  to Bergamot station art galleries. There will be seven opening receptions. I will attend as I usually do by viewing the art, having some wine,  maybe cheese, mingle with an eclectic group of artists, hipsters, goths, sophisticates schnoorers, schmoozers, wannabes and tall tale tellers trying to attach themselves rising stars.
I'll call dad first in FL and then head out to the big B.
Ciao my friends

No comments: